The WWE Crowd

Wednesday 22 January 2020

Conor McGregor v Donald Cowboy Cerrone - UFC 246

Conor McGregor Defeats Donald Cowboy Cerrone in 40 seconds at UFC 246


Like many UK MMA fans I stayed up all night to watch the main event at UFC 246 last weekend.

With the headline fight being fought around 5.30 AM UK time I didn't get to bed until 6am and with BT Sport changing their programming to charge PPV prices to customers.

I spoke to a woman at BT and asked her why they were now charging for UFC when up until now it had always been free to customers.

We are only going to charge for "Big Fights" she said over the phone. What constitutes a "Big Fight" to BT though?

The headline event at UFC was Conor McGregors comeback against Donald Cowboy Cerrone, and whilst it was a much anticipated event, it wasn't a title fight, and whilst the prelims were free to watch, the 4 fights on the main card weren't, and no belts were up to win.

So unlike many boxing events when UK TV channels only charge PPV for a title fight it seems BT might start charging for all future UFC events. If that is the case I might have to reconsider my BT Sport subscription as free UFC fights were one of the attractions for me to join BT, one of the good things about BT sport apart from their European Football and Premiership games.

I would have been pretty pissed off if I had paid considering the fight only lasted 40 seconds, and the other main fights weren't as good as some of the prelims, with the Holly Holms fight consisting of a really wound up Holly pacing the Octagon before and in-between rounds, then spending much of the fight against the fence in a clinch. Like the booing crowd I cannot be the only person who is upset at this change at BT Sports and I am pretty glad I used another free stream to show the main card to me.

Conor McGregor demolishes Donald Cowboy Cerrone


The main event whilst short was a spectacular quick destruction of the all time highest winner by head kicks, but unfortunately was over so quick, Cerrone didn't even get to throw a punch and only one kick. I was hoping the Cowboy would be able to provide a good stand up fight between two kick-boxers, a spectacle I find much more exciting to watch than a fight consisting of sparse stand up and full of BJJ. Although technical and complex finishes and locks are involved I just prefer stand up than floor fights.

The fight between Conor and Donald was so quick I think I can describe the 40 seconds from memory in-case the videos are taken down by YouTube.

Straight off in round 1 Conor ran out to meet Donald and threw a left hook that Donald ducked and they ended up in a clinch.

Conor then used a move I had never seen, neither it seems had Joe Rogan or the other commentators as he used the clinch to jump up and down repeatedly throwing his shoulder into Donald's nose, smashing it open.

They then broke apart and Donald threw a right kick to Conor's body before McGregor responded with his own left kick to the head of the Cowboy. 

As Donald fell back stunned, Conor followed up with a left knee to his head that pushed Cerrone to the fence and Conor jumped on him with a flurry of punches taking him to the floor, where he jumped on top of him and hammered his head with his fists before the fight was stopped.

The doctors rushed in and had to tend to the Cowboy after the hammering to his head smashed his face in by both Conor's shoulder, kick, knee and fists.


Watch Conor McGregor Full Fight against Donald Cowboy Cerrone


The original video of the fight from a crowd member got taken down but it doesn't matter as finally BT have put up a full fight video for us to watch. I guess they have realised anyone who wanted to watch the fight would have done so by now. Anyway this is the full fight from walk in




UFC 246 Highlights


If you just want to see the Conor v Cowboy highlights scroll to 4 minutes 29 seconds, not that you can really show just highlights from a 40 second event. The only thing missing is the violent finishing of Donald on the ground after Conors kick to his head.




The Big News


Although Conor had just delivered a complete perfect quick win over Donald who had to have the doctors attend him for a while after the stoppage, it seemed that the big news to McGregor was not the win but his new sized bottles of Whisky.

You can watch the post fight interview with Joe Rogan here.




The arrogance of the 31 year old is so complete, I cannot believe he used his interview with Joe Rogan to advertise his goods.  

"That's the big news", he actually said after talking about his Whisky.

Not the fact he had won fights at 3 weight levels, or the fact he had just won a fight in 40 seconds, or defeated the all time finisher by head kicks with a head kick, but his new Whisky bottles.

I wonder what Joe thought of that, if anyone knows please comment, as I thought it was just rude and disrespectful to his opponent to say that in his interview.

 

Holly Holms beats Raquel Pennington at UFC 246


The other main event on the card was the women's fight between Holly Holm and Raquel Pennington. I was expecting Rachel to do much better than she did against Holly and it seemed she ran out of ideas very quickly.

The original video was taken down and it seems there are loads of animated videos with cartoon like fighters in the ring replicating the moves on YouTube. Very odd to watch but I guess it's a way of getting round showing the real fight and being removed, however this video is the full fight with real people.


Holly Holms v Rachquel Pennington - Fight Highlights UFC 246




Post Fight Interview With Holly Holms and Joe Rogan


There was little stand up action and lots of clinches against the fence during the fight, which didn't really excite me or the crowd. I even heard boos at one point, and this was the co-headline event, another reason I am angry at BT Sports for charging PPV for non title belt fights.

Holly actually apologised in her post fight interview with Joe Rogan about the lack of stand up combat afterwards and said she was disappointed that she couldn't provide more action. You can watch her interview with Joe below.





Let me know what you thought of UFC 246, Conors 40 second win, his "big news" about his Whisky, BT Sports charging PPV for the main card, and anything else....

4 comments:

  1. I was really impressed with Conors 40 second win over Cerrone, I too was hoping for a good 5 rounds of stand up action between 2 kickboxing experts but what a 1st round win. Cerrone only threw one kick and Conor smashed his nose in with his shoulder and own kick to the head. Great fight. I paid to watch it but happy I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the fight, glad I watched it on a free PPV site though. Potato Streams. Glad I got a solid stream without buffering. Really annoyed that BT Sports is charging for UFC now though. Thought the Conor fight was great, and glad I didn't pay a score for 40 seconds of action. The Holms fight was boring to watch, so I would have been pi$$ed to pay a score to watch the main card. Thought Conor's advertising of new Whisky sizes in the Rogan interview was totally arrogant and disrespectful of his opponent when he said that was the big news tonight. What about his 3 weight level wins and his 40 second perfect fight showing off a new move I reckon many will copy just like his billion dollar walk which I didn't actually see him do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Conor was a stupid idiot for talking about his whisky in the interview Irish dinlow. You just won a great fight in 40 seconds why call your new whisky the Big News dick

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a joke, BT charging PPV for that fight less than a min and the other top fight was a joke as well. No wonder BT Spors haven't charged PPV for a UFC fight since, this wasn't even for a belt and Bone Jones was fighting weeks after and they didn't bother charging PPV for that.

    ReplyDelete